How to Fold an American Flag: Step By Step Instructions for Folding the US Flag Correctly
The flag of the United States is made to specific proportions, therefore we can always fold it the same unique way and it will come out the same, no matter what size it is.
Steps for Properly Folding the American Flag
Step 1.) Begin by holding the flag waist-high with another person so that its surface is parallel to the ground:
Step 2.) Fold the flag in half twice, width-wise:
Step 3.) Beginning at the striped end, fold one corner into the opposite side of the flag, forming a triangle :
Step 4.) Repeat this triangular folding until only a small strip of the star field shows :
Step 5.) Tuck this strip into the triangle:
Once you've reached this final triangular shape, your American flag is folded correctly!
Other US Flag Folding Tips
- Flag etiquette states that the flag should never touch the ground or floor. This applies even when it is being folded. Keep the flag from touching the ground while folding!
- When making the two width-wise folds, be sure to keep the stars on the outside. If you do this, you will have a triangular field of stars when you are finished folding the flag.
What To Do With Your American Flag Once It Is Folded
Once properly folded, there are a variety of things you can do with your American flag!
- Put your flag on display in a beautiful so it can be enjoyed in its folded form.
- Looking to store your American flag after folding it? We recommend using a to store your American flag safely and protect it while it's put away.
Looking for More Insight About Properly Caring For and Displaying Your American Flag?
We've got you covered! Our flag experts have put together a number of flag etiquette resources that cover everything from displaying your flag correctly to properly retiring or disposing of your flag.
- Half Staff Dates & Rules: When to Fly the Flag Half Mast
- American Flag Outdoor Display Rules
- American Flag Indoor Display Rules
- American Flag Retirement Protocol
- How to Choose The Right Flag for Your Flagpole
In Need of a New American Flag?
We carry a wide variety of American flags made in the USA, including indoor flags, outdoor flags, stick flags and more.
Have questions about flag folding, flag etiquette, or any of our flag products? Don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-888-697-3524 or and we'd be happy to assist you!
Popular Resource Pages
Popular Product Pages